Summer is here and if you are heading out on a vacation, you’re not alone! July and August are among the busiest travel months every year.
Unfortunately, July and August are the busiest month for burglars as well. Studies show property crimes rise ten percent during these months due in part to homes being unoccupied during vacations.
So if you are one of the millions hitting the road this summer, don’t fret. There are several steps you can take to keep your home safe whilst you are away:
- Notify a friendly neighbor – Tell them your plans and have them keep an eye out for anything suspicious.
- Make it look like someone is home – Use a timer for lights inside the house and leave a car parked in the driveway if possible.
- Have your mail collected – An overflowing mailbox is a signal to burglars that you’re out of town.
- Keep frequently stolen Items out of sight – If you can see that laptop or flat-screened TV from the outside, so can a burglar.
- Don’t broadcast on social media – Giving play-by-play on your vacation can alert a burglar to the fact that your home is empty.
- And finally… Get a Home8 security system to keep a watchful eye on things while you are gone. With Home8, you’ll be connected to your home regardless of location and will be able to monitor suspicious activity and alert authorities if needed… all from the palm of your hand.